As you may know, I am au pairing in Germany at the moment. I have been here a week, and so far I am really enjoying it. My host family are great and I am in a lovely area. The only problem is that I haven't met any other au pairs, or anyone else my own age. Until today that is.
I posted in an au pair Facebook group to see if there were any other au pairs nearby, and found a girl who is in a town about 40 minutes a way. Meeting up with people who you have met on the internet is one of those things that parents and teachers always tell you not to do. I ignored these warnings, and we made plans to meet at the main train station of the city that I am in.
There was a slightly awkward 'are you the person I am supposed to be meeting?' moment at the beginning, but after that it was a really day. Unfortunately the weather was not great, but we still had a good time wandering around the shops, sitting in Starbucks and chatting. We also managed to get a little bit lost on the tram, but when there are two of you, getting lost can be pretty amusing.
Monday, June 30, 2014
Saturday, June 21, 2014
I had my last exam yesterday! I am so glad that exams are over and I no longer have to spend all of my time stuck inside revising. I finally have time to catch up on all of the unwatched YouTube videos in my subscription feed, and to blog, and finish all the half written posts in my drafts.
Since all of my friends have finished exams as well we had a little celebration yesterday - for the end of exams and my birthday, since I will be in Germany on my actual birthday.
We spent the afternoon at the beach, and luckily the weather decided to cooperate for once. I live at the beach, but the beach by my house is stony so we decided to go to the sandy beach which is about a 15 minute drive. It is usually packed, but since most people were in school etc it was really nice and quiet. We had a lovely afternoon lying in the sun and chatting, and the sea was actually quite warm.
After we were done at the beach, we drove back to my house to have some dinner and watch a movie. It was a really nice way to celebrate.
Tonight I had another celebration with my family, for both my birthday and my mum's birthday. All of my aunt's and uncles and cousins came, and it was really nice to see them all. I also tried haloumi for the first time (I didn't even know what it was before today), and it is definitely my new favourite thing!
I have had a pretty great start to my summer holidays so far! Tomorrow won't be nearly as much fun though - it will be spent packing, since I leave for Germany on Monday morning (a bit last minute I know...).
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
So first of all sorry for being away for such a long time again! But anyway I am super excited because I have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Beatriz from Bea Boon!
So here are the rules:
1. Link the blogger that nominated you
2. Answer the 11 questions they have written for you
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself
4. Nominate other bloggers with under 200 followers who you think deserve the award
5. Post 11 questions for your nominees
So here are my answers to the questions I was given:
1.If you could switch lives with a celebrity, which celebrity would you switch with?
This is so difficult! I think maybe Emma Watson.
2. Would you rather skin a cat or a dog?
I can't say that I have ever really thought about this before... Am I allowed to say neither?
3. Life Goal?
Totally Cliché, but to be happy.
I don't really have a career goal at the moment, but I know that I definitely want to have kids when I grow up, and I want to travel as much as I possibly can.
4. Biggest Mistake?
I can't really think of any massively terrible mistakes that I have made. Of course I have made mistakes, but I can't think of anything that bad right now.
5. Best thing you've ever done?
I've done quite a few pretty awesome things in my not-very-long-life so far. I'd have to say that the best thing was probably going to Africa for three weeks last summer.
6. Pro or Anti farting?
Definitely Anti farting. If you grew up with three brother's you would be too.
7. If you can change one thing about yourself what would it be? (can't be aesthetic)
I am really shy and quiet, so I think that I would change that.
8. Would you rather be 4ft tall or 7ft tall?
4ft. Can you imagine how hard it would be to find clothes if you were 7 feet tall? If you were 4ft at least you could fit into clothes in the kids section. Also you would never have to worry about not having enough leg room. You wouldn't be tall enough to go on roller coasters though, so that would be annoying, but I'd still say I would prefer to be 4ft than 7ft.
9. What would you tell your 21 year old self if you could?
I would remind myself not to settle for a boring job that I don't really want, to experience as many different things as I can, and to take every opportunity that comes my way. And I guess just to make sure that I really live rather than just existing (I don't know if that makes sense).
10. Favourite book?
Looking for Alaska by John Green. I love that book sooo much, and I am sure I have probably already mentioned that multiple times on this blog.
11 facts about me:
1. I am going to be an au pair in Germany for 5 weeks this summer
2. I will be studying Psychology at University next year (providing I do well enough in my exams)
3. My favourite film at the moment is Pitch Perfect
4. I have a dog. He loves to steal food, especially chocolate - many an Easter egg have been lost to the dog.
5. I have a job as a waitress
6. I drive a Fiat 500
7. My current favourite TV shows are Revenge (although the series actually just finished here) and How I Met Your Mother
8. I will be 18 this month
9. No one would ever believe that I am almost 18 by looking at me - everyone at work always tells me that I look about 15
10. I recently got pinterest, and now I am addicted!
Sarah from A Glimpse of Blue
Sheridan from Sheridankate
And here are my questions for you:
1. If you could be any character from a book, who would you be, and why?
2. What is your favourite meal?
3. What would you do if you won the lottery?
4. Where is your favourite place?
5. If you could travel to any country, where would you go?
6. What is your favourite thing about summer?
7. Why did you start blogging?
8. What was your favourite film as a kid?
9. Do you prefer the city or the countryside?
10. How would your perfect weekend go?
11. What is your favourite personality trait?